If you own a business that is also looking to improve your local SEO, then citations are something that you should pay attention to. Citations mention NAP or your business name, address, and phone number on relevant websites. These mentions can be on directories, social media platforms, review sites, and other websites relevant to your industry.
This blog post will cover citations, their importance for local SEO, and how to improve your citation profile.
While performing digital marketing audits for our clients, we noticed that many small businesses need to update or correct these links regularly. This makes it so that even if potential customers find them online, they may be unable to reach them. Building citations is also an important part of our Online Growth Acceleration to help businesses with their growth goals.
Moreover, the numbers support taking citation-building seriously:
According to Brightlocal, 90% of local SEO experts say accurate citations are critical to a business’s search engine ranking, with 62% saying rich citations are essential.
What these numbers mean for business owners is that citation-building is a must to stand out in a competitive environment.
What Are Citations?
As mentioned earlier, citations mention your business NAP on other websites. The most common places where citations are found are online directories.
These directories, such as Yelp, Yellow Pages, and Angie’s List, allow users to search for businesses by category and location. When a user searches for a company in a particular business category and location, the directory presents them with a list of companies that match their search criteria.
Including your business in directory listings means your NAP will be visible to potential clients.
Why Are Citations Important for Local SEO?
Citations are essential for local SEO and boost the visibility of businesses for several reasons:
- Verify Accuracy: Citations help search engines, such as Google and Bing, verify the accuracy of your business information, improving your online credibility.
- Improve Visibility: More citations mean more places where your business information is listed, increasing the chances of being seen by potential customers.
- Boost Search Engine Rankings: Citations from higher-authority directories can improve your website’s search engine rankings through backlink-building opportunities.
- Enhance Reputation: Being listed on reputable directories and review sites builds trust with customers, showcasing positive reviews, enhanced credibility, and a strong online presence.
How To Improve Your Citation Profile
Now that you know why citations are essential for local SEO, let’s look at how you can improve your citation profile:
- Ensure Accuracy: It is crucial to keep your business information consistent across all websites, including the name, address, and phone number (NAP).
- Utilize Citation Management Tools: Tools like Moz Local or Yext can update your information across multiple directories and monitor for any inconsistencies or errors.
- Build New Citations: Submit your business details to relevant directories and review sites, focusing on those specific to your industry and location.
- Regularly Monitor Citations: Ensure your information is accurate and consistent on all platforms. Respond promptly and professionally to reviews to enhance trust and reputation.
Takeaways: Citations Are Essential to Local SEO!
Citations help search engines verify your business information’s accuracy, improve online visibility, and build trust with potential customers.
To optimize your citation profile, ensure your business information is accurate and consistent across all websites, create new citations on relevant websites, and monitor your citations regularly.
You can improve or optimize your local SEO and entice more customers to consider your business by following these tips. To ensure that small local companies have all their bases covered when it comes to citation-building, we use our expertise and experience to effectively build and manage citations.
To learn more about citation-building and everything local SEO, call us at (213) 317 7184 or visit our contact page to talk to a local SEO expert.